The Fort McMurray Hotel Group is becoming more and more eco-friendly throughout 2012. The following initiatives have been put in place to support our commitment to being environmentally friendly:
- All cleaning supplies used by our team members are 100% Eco-Friendly, and we have made every effort to reduce use of chemicals, water, and waste producing materials wherever possible. Also we currently provide guests with the opportunity to reuse their linens by simply replacing them on their towel bars or if new ones are required, by putting them on the floor.
- All “Eco Sciences” amenities are eco-friendly, produced with vegetable and soy based products, and all containers are 100% biodegradable within 5 yrs. We have further partnered with “Clean the World” to donate any and all unused portions of soaps and shampoos to their projects which bring these sanitary products to in need peoples around the world.
- Currently, all plastics and paper placed in the recycle bins in the rooms are recycled, as well plastics are pulled from our regular garbage when identified and added to our recycle program. We are partnering with the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo to pilot a full waste recycling program in 2012. This revolutionary program will be one of the first of its kind in North America. In addition, non-perishable food stuffs left in rooms after guests depart are donated to the Fort McMurray Food Bank.
- We will be continuing to minimize the wasted energy used in unoccupied rooms and provide guests with information to reduce their heating consumption in their rooms during their stays with us. In addition, we will soon be installing new thermostats that will provide guests with greater control of their heating and cooling in their rooms. After the successful test program instituted at the Franklin Suite Hotel and Merit Hotel & Suites of the Verdant program which monitors activity in the rooms through infrared to determine the temperature, this system will be installed in all of the rooms at the Franklin and Merit and then at a later date at the Vantage, Nomad Extended Stay and the Clearwater Residence Hotel Timberlea.
- We will be continuing to upgrade the light bulbs in guest rooms and common areas to LED light bulbs. These light bulbs contain no mercury, cost less energy to run, and last longer than their incandescent and fluorescent counterparts.
None of these initiatives would be possible without the support of our guests, partners, and staff, and we thank you all for your continued support and input on this program.